Thursday, August 25, 2011

First Day at Johns Hopkins Maternal Fetal Medicine

a little over 8 weeks pregnant... a tiny bump? Maybe I'm just bloated.

Today was our first trip to the Johns Hopkins Maternal Fetal Medicine Obstetric Group facility at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, where I will be receiving my prenatal care. I have been receiving my regular care through the Johns Hopkins system since we have lived here. Based on my choice of delivering the baby at the main Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, my doctor referred me to this practice. The practice specializes in high risk pregnancies, but they handle normal pregnancies as well. I figured it would be a good place to be just in case my medical issues creep up on me and cause any problems. The only disadvantage to this practice is that I won't be able to choose one OB/GYN for my care. The obstetrics group works as a team, and therefore I will meet a few of them and have my appointments with whoever is available. I'm not really a picky patient so I don't mind who I see as long as we receive great care.

Today was just about giving me starter information and taking my medical history. Josh went to the appointment with me, which was great. I love that he wants to be there for my appointments to see how things go. I met with a nurse, who gave me a packet of information, and asked a ton of questions about my medical history and lifestyle. She made sure I have everything I need, including prenatal vitamins, which I had already been prescribed by Dr. Davis. I then went to the lab for blood work and drank the sugary syrup for an early glucose test. They decided to give my a glucose test because of my insulin resistance history and Dad's history of type 2 diabetes. We didn't meet a doctor for an exam today, but it was nice to see where my appointments will be, and the birthing center where the baby will be born.

No comments:

Post a Comment