Thursday, August 11, 2011

First Doctor Appointment

5 weeks pregnant, saying goodbye to my waist

August 11, 2011, waiting for the doctor

Today was my first doctor appointment with my general practitioner, Dr. Mollie Davis, who I have been seeing since we moved to Maryland. For some reason I was very nervous before my appointment. Even as a waited in the exam room for the nurse, my stomach was in knots. When the nurse took my blood pressure, she said it was slightly high, and asked if I had some anxiety about the appointment. I told her yes. I think my anxiousness stemmed from the realization that a medical exam would be a true confirmation of pregnancy. I was apprehensive about the results... thrilled and still a bit scared about being a mother to be, and worried that the test would show a negative result and crush my excitement. They took a urine sample and I waited for Dr. Davis. When Dr. Davis (who had just returned from maternity leave herself) entered the room, she greeted me with smiles and congratulations. My anxiety melted back into excitement.

I talked to the doctor for a while about some of my concerns, including my blood type and my medical history. Since I had a recent history of PCOS and insulin resistance, I am nervous about the possibility of gestational diabetes. Dr. Davis said that since I had become so active, lost weight, got in shape, and wasn't taking the medication I was previously taking for the disorder, that she thinks I will be just fine. I told her I was very into my gym routines, and lately, running. She said, "You ran to a baby." and explained that she felt the reason I got pregnant was because I had made my body very healthy with diet and exercise. Many PCOS patients have a hard time conceiving due to a hormone imbalance. Diet and exercise help reverse the symptoms of the disorder. I couldn't feel more proud that by being healthy and treating my body well, I have contributed to bringing this gift to our lives. I feel that this baby is truly meant to be.

the next day... August 12, 2011, thinking about my baby

6 weeks pregnant

No comments:

Post a Comment